Sydney Mother and Baby are pleased to offer our patients a weekly Breastfeeding Drop-in Clinic each Monday and Friday, taken by our midwife and lactation consultant Angela Smith.
Mothers may arrive any time between 9am through to 1pm. Ideally, your baby will be ready for a feed shortly after arriving. No appointment is needed, however if possible, please advise Angela of your attendance, so she can prepare your history.
You can email her at email@example.com
The Clinic is held on Level 9 (across the foyer from Dr Morris’s rooms).
What to bring along with you:
- Your Baby
- A couple of nappies
- A change of clothes for your baby
The first few weeks of breastfeeding are always the hardest. It is common for your baby to be the first you have ever held, let alone totally cared for. The whole idea can be quite daunting and scary and breastfeeding can seem so hard. We want to support you.
Most breastfeeding problems are more easily solved if dealt with them sooner rather than later; so the worst thing new mums can do is think “I will just wait until next week and see how things are going “. We tend to do this repeatedly, resulting in an escalation of the problem. This drop-in clinic is targeted towards mothers whose babies are only a few weeks old. However, if your baby is older and you are still having problems, please come in. This is often the time when we find a permanent solution to the problem.
The sort of problems and concerns you should attend the clinic for:
- Babies who have lost 10% or more of their birth weight and are slow to regain this weight.
- Babies who are slow to gain weight
- You are using a nipple shield
- Your nipples are either still very tender or have damage that is not healing
- You are having difficulty latching baby
- Your breasts are still feeling full even though your baby is more then 10 days old
- You need help learning to express
- You think you may have too much milk
- You think you may not have enough milk
- If you would simply like more information and/or encouragement for breastfeeding
Please note that this drop in clinic is for women only, so as to create an open and comfortable environment for all. If you would like a one to one consultation with Angela, please make an appointment.
We look forward to seeing you, should the need arise.
Midwife & Lactation Consultant