Becoming a Dad is an unimaginable journey where emotions, patience, and confidence will be challenged.
To help our dads get through this intimate time intact, we offer these suggestions as a guide to help you to feel useful in the delivery room.
Dad Advice – Top Tips
- Have your homework done – be aware, attend education classes, read recommended book/s, discuss your fears, thoughts and birthing hopes with your partner (before the contractions begin)
- Always be prepared for the midnight trip to hospital- have the route planned and where to park
- Have a check list prepared for what to pack in the car (see below)
- Have plenty of coins for parking
- Have petrol in car
- Have a list of phone numbers
- Have a friend organised to feed the dog
- Swimmers – board shorts, please!
- Sleeping attire (even if you do not normally wear anything)
- Change of clothes
- Camera/spare battery/recharger
- Comfortable shoes
- Lots of snacks including breath mints.
Resources For New Dads
- Information about Birthing Classes for Dads
- Feeling a little overwhelmed with all the terminology? Here’s an A-Z of Pregnancy Terms
- Is the due date around the holiday season? We’ve made a special list. Frequently Asked Questions for the Festive Season
- After the baby’s born: postnatal care for the first 6 weeks
- First 6 weeks postnatal blog