The purpose of Lactation Cookies is to provide a vehicle for some essential nutrients that we know can have a very positive effect on lactation. For example brewers yeast contains protein, B vitamins, iron, selenium and many other trace elements, which not only promote milk supply but also help with fatigue. Oats are also an important and easy source of fibre, iron and protein. Low iron levels can reduce the supply.
- 1 cup of self raising wholemeal flour
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of brown or muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons of wheatgerm
- 1 ½ tablespoons of brewers yeast
- 1 ½ cups of organic oats
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of water
- ½ cup of chopped pecans nuts
- ¾ cup of chopped dates
Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
Start by creaming the sugar and oil, add the eggs and then fold in the flour. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Roll into ping-pong size balls and flatten on a tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.